Chicken and Mushroom Pho
Cooking Time:40 Minutes
Serving Size: 3-4 Servings
250g flat rice noodles
2 chicken breasts
125g shiitake mushrooms
150g oyster mushrooms
1600ml chicken stock
2 tsp coriander seeds
1-2 whole cloves
4cm chuck of fresh ginger
3-4 spring onions
4 tsp fish sauce
1/2 tsp maple syrup
1 chilli pepper
1 handful of fresh coriander plus extra to serve
- Cut the ginger into 4-5 coin shaped pieces and then bang with the back of the knife to release some of the flavour. Then chop up the spring onions into 2-3 cm stalks, leaving the green tops to garnish the soup.
- Heat a large saucepan and then add the coriander seeds and cloves and let them toast for 1-2 minutes before adding in the ginger and spring onion to cook for a further minute.
- Take the saucepan off the heat for a few seconds, then add in the chicken stock along with the coriander and chicken breasts and bring to the boil. Then simmer for about 10 minutes to let the chicken cook through.
- After about 10 minutes of simmering, remove the chicken breasts, run them under cold water for a few seconds and leave to cool.
- Carry on simmering the soup for a further 20 minutes, and now add in all the mushrooms.
- Once the chicken has cooled, start shredding it up using 2 forks and set aside. If you notice any of the chicken is not fully cooked, just return it to the simmering soup for a further few minutes.
- Then, cook the rice noodle according to packet instructions and drain ready for assembly.
- Arrange the noodles into bowls, then add some of the shredded chicken and mushrooms. You’ll need to spoon out the mushrooms from the soup just before serving.
- Just before the soup is ready, season with the fish sauce and maple syrup and simmer for a further few minutes.
- Now strain the soup, without the mushrooms, using a fine colander to remove the cooking herbs, spices, ginger and onions.
- Now pour the soup over your bowls and garnish with the spring onion tops, fresh coriander and some chilli if you want added kick.
Serve and enjoy!
Share on social media: